Built in 1915 as a home for the Boston Braves National League baseball team, when the team moved to Milwaukee the stadium was purchased by Boston University.  In 1955 renovated the facility two years later, renaming it for William E. Nickerson, a member of BU's Board of Trustees.

The home of the Boston Patriots during their first four years, the site was seen as inadequate then let alone by the time the USFL and the Boston Breakers came along.  Boston University's modifications to the facility had reduced seating capacity to just over 20,000, and Breakers partners George Matthews and Randy Vataha's decision to sell the team after the 1983 season was largely based in their inability to secure use of a bigger, better facility for home games.

Today the facility is even smaller, as further modifications have reduced seating capacity to just over 9,000.

NICKERSON FIELD

Boston, Massachusetts

.

<< Return to "The Stadia" <<

USFL.INFO - Copyright 2007 - The McIntire Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.
The names, nicknames, logos, uniform designs, slogans, photographs, audio and video recordings, and any other intellectual properties
utilized in USFL.INFO are used on a "Fair Use" basis, without intent of profit.  Such intellectual properties are retained by their respective holders.